Saturday, February 6, 2010

r/K selection theory in the age of Tucker Max

r-K Scale

Some Life-History Differences

Between r-Strategists and K-Strategists r-Strategist K-Strategist Family characteristics Large litter size Small litter size Short birth spacing Long birth spacing Many offspring Few offspring High infant mortality Low infant mortality Little parental care Much parental care Individual characteristics Rapid maturation Slow Maturation Early sexual reproduction Delayed sexual reproduction Short life Long life High reproductive effort Low reproductive effort High energy utilization Efficient energy utilization Smaller brains Larger brains Population characteristics Opportunistic exploiters Consistent exploiters Dispersing colonizers Stable occupiers Variable population size Stable population size Weak competition Strong competition Social system characteristics Low social organization Higher social organization Low Altruism High Altruism



PUAs actually take a rather traditionalist, dare I say Beta, view towards culture. Roissy himself has stated that he believes western civilization was the most favorable to betas and thus evolved towards the highest. I think there is too much confusion in PUA between alpha-beta and r/K selection.

For the most part nearly all the traits associated with alphas can also be called r tactics. Alpha becomes a pretty meaningless term when you have such large levels of civilization, and anomie. We don’t really have tribal families anymore. So I think the TERMS alpha and beta are meaningless but you can replace it with r/K selection theory and still have all the traits in-tact. For example you can have an entire K community, yet there could still be the alpha of said community. Alphaness, and I use the term loosely, is about power. While Roissy refers to the state as a replacement beta, in fact the Hobbesian Leviathan is the ONLY alpha alive today. Now I myself may use the term beta just because its popular but what I and PUAs both mean really is r/K selection theory.

R is the natural Rate of reproduction while K is Kare invested.

So morality and ethics as such is an attempt to encourage K traits. Hegel’s Philosophy of History is in some-sense the story of evolution from R as barbaric slave to nature, to K as free man consciously changing nature. Darwin saw life-history as the story of the draining of testosterone, and looked forward to the day in which the feminine traits of altruism and empathy would extent to the world. Larry Arnhart even hurls the charge of utopianism at Darwin.

That is also what the master slave dialectic is. The master is the alpha. He has all the fun in life, wine women and song. And his slave beta just works in the fields feeding Tucker. The alpha has more courage than the beta. He was willing to fight and die, the beta preferred life in chains to death. But ultimately it is the slave who is interaction with nature, who creates, and who builds. And so the world is the beta’s.

Now Roissy and Co. might actually agree with a lot of what I wrote above, but would insist the party is over and that feminism has ruined everything. Roissy calls himself a libertine capitalist. Feminism is the daughter of capitalism. The market had to quite naturally extend into the family sphere. And once women were pushed out of agriculture the discipline of the market would not let them sit on their hands. It is from capitalism, that women achieved the economic independence, that made male-female relations voluntary to a degree they had not been in the past. Precisely because American capitalism is so libertarian, women are pushed into the labor market far more strongly than they are in Christian Democratic Europe.   In that sense I should feel a lot more sorry for myself than for any of Tucker Max’s conquests. I don’t just face pop cultural pressure to have a market relation with a boss, if I don’t do it I’ll starve!

Dawkins points out that the next stage in the selfish gene is Memetics. In that sense I was not really anti-survival. It is true I had very little concern whether my selfish-gene survived. But I wasn’t content to leave this world as though I had never existed. I was determined that my selfish-meme would replicate and rule the world. Even if my selfish-meme was not directly tied to me, and my name and legacy disappeared from the world, my memetic information which is just as real as genetic information would survive.

If the selfish gene is nothing but information code, then memetics is actually a more efficient way to replicate, since there is less corruption of the source code.

So my morality does not necessarily have to be in conflict with this harsh Darwinian world. It is perfectly compatible with the selfish meme.

[Via http://enamdar.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment